Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fly Like an Eagle

So we were moving some things to our permanent home yesterday morning. I had my arms full and decided to test the laws of physics and gravity. Yep, they are still laws for a reason. 

I was almost down the flight of stairs when I missed one or three and took the remaining ones in a quite rapid fashion. Still, I took an opening to slow or stop my momentum and reached out just one-tenth of a second too late... and bounced off the walkway. However, I am happy to report that I stuck the landing!  It was olympic caliber, so long as by "olympic caliber" you mean "flat on my back, on a hill, with my legs still trying to obey the law of gravity by pulling me down the hill upside down". 

You would not believe how difficult it is to sit up, while going uphill. But I digress. 

Every cloud has a silver lining, except in this case it would appear my lining was solid 24K gold. The good news is my back has not felt this good in years. Had I known all the chiropractic care I paid for over the years could be bettered by throwing myself down a flight of stairs... well, I would have done it years ago. The bad news is the payment for this good fortune was ripping a good bit of skin off my hand right where the thumb connects to the rest of the hand. 

Remember earlier when I said I reached out? Yes, I tried to grab ahold of the edge of the walkway. The wooden edge. The dull as 10 pounds of wet leather until you frantically grab it to stop yourself from falling edge. Then it becomes more keen than any razor blade and takes the hide right off. 

So, no more back pain, but sharp pain from losing the first layer of skin from your palm/thumb. Hmmm... seems to be a fair trade to me.

2 comments: