Monday, September 3, 2012

Riding the Storm Out

So it turns out we have ridden out our first storm in Alaska. It started about 36 hours ago, and is still raging outside even as I type these words. Were it not for the absence of power in our apartment when we woke up this morning, we never would have known of it.

"How can that be?" you ask.

Well, let's just say the threshold for what is and is not a storm is a bit lower in Dillingham than in Iowa. What we are being told by the locals is a storm is known by another name in Iowa :

Good kite flying weather.

I have been through some storms in Iowa where I was thanking God for inventing houses, and let me tell you - I wish ALL the storms in Iowa were this fierce. Which is to say, as hard as a rose petal. I imagine a sailboat would be able to cross the lake in record time, but storm? C'mon!

1 comment:

  1. Had a storm come thru at 4am this morning with 50-60 mph winds. When the trailer starts rocking, I know it's windy!!

    ReplyDelete