Thursday, August 2, 2012

Beware Low Flying Toyotas


Donna and I decided to take a walk after a break in the rain. As much drought exists in Iowa, that is how much rain we have received since we arrived in Dillingham. People around these parts don't seem to pay it too much heed; really, I don't see much difference between a sunny day and a rainy day as far as people milling about goes. 

So we set out on our walk, and Donna is terrified we are going to be mauled by a bear. Now keep in mind this is not an entirely unreasonable fear. We are walking along and keeping our eyes peeled when I hear an approaching car. Donna tells me that it is an airplane, which seem to outnumber the cars around here. 

"No, dear, it's a car."

"No, it's an airplane."

Well, whatever it is the reality is it will come over the hill in front of us about… now. 

I turn to see Donna looking towards the heavens, while I whip back around to observe a cream colored Toyota pickup come over the hill, tires planted firmly on the ground. I pull the wife back from the road a few feet, and double over in laughter.

"You have to watch out for those low-flying Toyotas, dear."

"Oh, shut up."

Surprisingly, the weather became much colder in the following minutes. Or it may have just been me. Probably me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment