Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Photo-Pa-Looza III

We had some very kind, generous teachers loaned us their vehicle for a few weeks until we move into town. That enabled us to do a little more exploring, covering more ground than we could on foot. So we took advantage of the opportunity to go down and finally see Bristol Bay proper. 






The pictures can hardly capture the true beauty of it. Strangely, the water looks almost exactly like the Mississippi, just more of it. Well, I guess that would back up my theory that I always lived in Alaska, I just didn't know it. Maybe I should start referring to Iowa as the Alaska suburbs. :-)









These are pieces of art done by the Elementary children of Dillingham. They are hanging in the entryway to the Elementary school building. They were done under the guidance of an artist, but my understanding is the kids did all the heavy lifting themselves. I have been to the Art Institute of Chicago's museum, and I have to tell you: I saw a lot worse there. I was just floored when they told me the kids did these pieces.


One of the many fishing vessels you will see out on the bay on any given day.

We got buzzed by both, man and nature. Both equally curious. 


Views of the local fish cannery

This is our new chariot, which got us to the bay. It is a 1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup. It can go from 0 - 60... eventually. Actually, it's a darn sturdy little beast. What with all the dings, dents, and rust it has a fine coat of urban camouflage that fits right in Dillingham. Maybe it's just us, but we seemed to have picked up the locals are not trusting you if you have a new car, or one without... ummmm... a few battle scars.

It seems the locals - already a friendly, helpful bunch - became even more so in the past couple of days of driving it. Looks like they are starting to accept us as one of their own. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment